growse.com

I write things here.

I'm on Keybase.

Spamwatch, revised!

Earlier in the year, when I built SpamWatch, I put it together by cobbling together lots of different scripts and hoping that it worked together. Thinking that this wasn’t very reliable, I decided to see if there was a better way.

What I’m effectively trying to do is count the number of lines in a log file between a set date range. Given that my log files seem to rotate at any time they want, it’s a bit of a challange to get a list of log lines for a particular time period. Then it occurred to me: the best way of querying a large set of data using different criteria is a database. All I had to do was find a way of shoving my exim4 logs into a database, then I could query it and get stats more reliably.

Syslog is the obvious answer here. Exim can happily send logs off to various different places and by dumping it on syslog, I can pretty much do whatever I want. I stumbled across rsyslog, a syslog daemon that can throw log entries into a database, so I set that up on a new VM and flicked the switch. So far, it seems to be working. It’s been a couple of days and my syslog table is 50,000 lines long. Now I need to get some numbers out of it and compare them to what I’m getting from the old fudge-and-gaffer-tape way.